Sunday, February 3, 2019

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks – Week 5 “At the Library”


The Library I grew up with.
Elmhurst, Illinois

My love affair with libraries began in first grade, when we moved to Elmhurst, Illinois, just west of the city of Chicago. The location of our new home made it easy for a six-year old to enjoy the independence of a magical journey at any time. We were only a block from the stately mansion that had been turned into the city library. Inside the library Mrs Zimmerman was in charge of the children’s desk where we would present her with the books we wanted to borrow and our library card. 

If you couldn’t write/print your name you had to use a parent’s card. I think I decided at a very young age that I would love to work in a library surrounded by all those wonderful books that could transport you to anywhere in the world you wanted to go.

Summer story hours were obligatory for this girl. As I grew older, I began to .explore the different types of books at the library and about third grade I discovered the chapter books in the form of the “Bobbsey Twins”, a series of books about a family with two sets of twins and their adventures. Later I graduated to the Nancy Drew mysteries. After that came the Judy Bolton series and the Hardy Boys. I was hooked on mysteries and I still am!

As years passed my use of the library grew and expanded to more than just borrowing mysteries. I learned to use the card catalog to find the books that held the information I was seeking.

My children were introduced to the library at a very young age since it was one of the places we could walk to. We lived in a small farming community and the library was in a community building which also housed the Village Board meetings and a resale shop for the VFW. For a couple of Summers, I did the story hour for the library and later served on the library board. Even though it was a small library only open part time, there were regulations to be followed and funds to be accounted for. When we moved to an even smaller are,  there was still a public library. This time it was inside the grade school building. It was also part time and shared the position  of Librarian with the previous library. Once again, I served as a member of the Library Board and learned about the importance of circulation numbers and how they affect the funding of the library.

Moving to Florida exposed us to a library system that hosted many branches and more hours open than ever before. This is about when I began to work on genealogy. Being part of a larger library system, I now had access to even more reference materials. It was in a library that I found the books “Germans to America” a series of volumes detailing German immigration in the 1830 to the 1870s. In them I found that my German ancestors came to the United States from the village of Villmar in the Hessen province of the Dutchy of Nassau. That led me to looking at the church records for Villmar where I found a marriage record for Georg Burbach and Catharina Caspari. The record indicated that Georg was from Oberselters. Church records from Oberselters showed that the family had lived there for over 100 years.

Recently, I have been spending Sunday afternoons in the Genealogy room at our library here in Texas and I found a book in the library about the early colonists of Virginia which mentioned my husband’s Ferguson line which prompted me to look for them in the Soldiers of the American Revolution books there two shelves below. Now I am gathering evidence so my son and daughter can become members of the SAR and DAR.

Libraries expand my world and I don’t expect that to stop anytime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment