Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Genealogy Adventures - Certification: Beginning the Journey

 I haven’t posted often this year because I am spending this year preparing to submit a portfolio and apply for certification as a genealogist. For the past eleven years I have been writing about the various members of my ancestry as I uncover their stories. For Certification purposes, I must use my own work and there can be no critiquing or comments from others incorporated into the submitted work, so it has been difficult to continue to write about family and risk endangering my portfolio. I don't want to totally abandon the blog so I will make some sporadic posts unrelated to my portfolio.

 I think I began to consider certification as a possibility for me in 2019 when I took my first virtual class with the Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy (SLIG). 

That first class, Intermediate Foundations, met for three hours a week for ten weeks and I probably spent ten to fifteen a week doing the assignments. It covered the multiple types of records used by genealogists. Where to find them and how to use them. I was happy to learn that I could work at the intermediate level with ease and began to seriously consider certification.

In January of 2020 I went to Salt Lake City for a resident class “Introduction to Genetic Genealogy”. A solid week of classes with about thirty other DNA/Genealogy geeks.  It was an amazing experience and my article about my experiences was published in the Utah Genealogy Association magazine Crossroads.

(Next installment the Covid effect)

No comments:

Post a Comment