Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Geneabloggers Tuesday Tips - Source Citation

The tip I most often wish I had received and followed when I first began doing genealogy is to ALWAYS cite sources.  I can go back and recreate source citation but it is a real pain.

As a beginner I was doing genealogy mostly as a hobby and curiosity. I knew where I had found my information.  I knew which census images I relied on.  I knew where my parents and grandparents married.   Now I am trying to take a more professional approach. It's time to go back and add all those sources.   It would have definitely been easier if I had cited sources in the beginning.  Searching is much more fun than writing up sources!

One of my goals this year is to go back and cite sources and enter them into my computer program.  In fact yesterday, I entered  source citation into 3 different genealogy programs to see which program had to best source citation framework for my use.  After I have decided which template I like best, I will enter all my sources that way and then import the file into the other programs.

3 comments:

  1. What three programs are you testing and can you post what the citations look like and why you choose one over the others. I will be waiting to see how this test turns out. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not agree more! I get irritated by people writing about their family, when sources are not given. It leaves me thinking "Well, how do you know that? What is the proof? A very useful reminder on what we should be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scotsue, I will admit I don't add source citations
    to blog posts, but I can provide them if asked. I'm working on getting everything into my family file.

    Tessa, I am working with Family Tree Maker, Roots Magic, and Legacy Family Tree. I haven't made a decision yet. They will all display the source information, I'm just looking for the template I'm most comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete