Saturday, March 12, 2011

Surname Saturday - Connery of Limerick, Ireland

Michael Joseph Connery (M J) left Limerick and immigrated to the United States in 1888. He was joined by his 16 year old sister Cath on the ship Alaska which docked in New York on July 30,1888. He was one of 11 children which might explain his choice to immigrate.

I have explored MJ's siblings and their descendants, but have not studied the surname Connery. The 1901 census for Ireland shows 450 entries for the surname Connery with 129 Connerys living in County Limerick and 10 in Kilfinnane which is MJ's birthplace. The 1911 census of Ireland shows 467 entries with 114 in Limerick and 20 entries for Kilfinnane. In contrast, the 1900 Census of the United States there were 79 Connerys with 7 Connerys in Illinois and 3 living in Cook County, Illinois. The 1910 Census lists 71 Connerys with 7 in Illinois and 6 in Cook County. I only looked for Connerys who were born in Ireland. New York, Massachusetts, and Illinois had the highest number of Connerys listed in both the 1900 and 1910 census.

I will need to further explore the name Connery. There must be more to find.

3 comments:

  1. Did you know that when MJ came to Chicago for the first time (I think this 1888 was a second trip)he linked up the Connery family that was already here? They took him in although I believe they were not related (at least not closely) and helped him to get on his feet.
    When I worked in Social services I got a letter from a woman named "Patricia Connery" -- by then I was married but intrigued and followed up with her. She was aware of MJ's arrival and the family stories about helping him. I think the first time here was when he sold the cow and jumped ship to America (probably not with his sister?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patricia Connery and I are both granddaughters of MJ. What further information can you provide as far as the Connerys he connected with. You can pm me at donnajanepeterson@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI DONNA,
    BACK IN THE 70S WHEN I RESEARCHED MJ AT THE CHICAGO HISTORY MUSEUM I FOUND A PAGE IN THE "1906 WESTERN BOWLERS JOURNAL" ABOUT MJ CONNERY WITH A ONE PAGE BIO AND PICTURE OF HIM
    THAT TELLS OF HIS HAVING A WELL ESTABLISHED SALOON AT PAULINA AND GRAND AS EARLY AS 1884
    BEFORE HIS MOVE TO 3958 W. MADISON IN 1898 WHERE HE OPERATED A SALOON AND FINE BOWLING ALLEY.

    THE CHICAGO CITY DIRECTORIES LISTED HIM IN 1881 AT 712 FLOURNOY WITH HIS BROTHER JOHN AND AS BEING A FRUIT MERCHANT.

    I HAVE POSTED THESE THINGS IN THE "HANSEN CONNERY MURRAY HERITAGE" FACEBOOK SITE UNDER MJ AND ALICE CONNERY ALONG WITH ALOT MORE PICTURES AND STORIES ABOUT OUR GRANDPARENTS.

    I HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL.
    BROTHER PAUL

    ReplyDelete