Thursday, January 26, 2012

Treasure Chest Thursday - Treasure in the Mail Box

Mom wasn't a diary or journal person. With 9 kids to manage and a large house to keep there just wasn't time. Just before Christmas I received a treasure in the mail! My sister mailed me a copy of a desk diary my mother kept for part of 1974. I didn't even know this existed.

Mom died in 1977, and was already diagnosed with cancer. She had moved to Florida for her health and to be closer to her sister and brother. The diary reflects her financial concerns as she notes a proposed budget and writes of her concern about jobs as a substitute teacher. Although her strength was failing, Mom maintained her volunteer activities at both her church and hospital.

I'm older now than Mom was in 1974 and I still have a lot to learn from her!

No comments:

Post a Comment