Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - Fruitcake - Friend or Foe?

Fruitcake--Friend or Foe

Did you like fruitcake? Did your family receive fruitcakes? Have you ever re-gifted fruitcake? Have you ever devised creative uses for fruitcake?
 Image courtesy of Wikipedia used under the creative commons license.



I have always enjoyed Fruitcake, probably because it was always served with cream cheese and a cup of hot tea by my Irish relatives.  It only appears during the holidays and in my house anyway was considered a treat.  One year my brother-in-law was employed by the Rainbow Baking Co. in Colorado, so my mother ordered about 8 fruitcakes for gifting family members.

When I was newly married and not working, I made gifts for family.  A few times I made fruitcake for family members.  We always liked it but you had to start in about October.  Later I switched to Cinnamon Swirl Raisin bread.  


My children were not fans of fruitcake and had one fruitcake that they sent back and forth for about 10 years.  It finally died in Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment